- Discontinue Accutane for 6 months before appointment.
- Do not use topical agents that may increase sensitivity of skin: retinoids, topical antibiotics, exfoliants, acids that may be drying or irritating to the skin (such as alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) beta hydroxy acids (BHAs), exfoliating masks, hydroquinone, and benzoyl peroxide acne products) 5-7 days prior.
- Do not take any anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen, Motrin or Advil for 3 days prior to treatment. (These will interfere with the natural inflammatory process that is critical and responsible for your skin rejuvenation)
- Avoidance of IPL/Laser procedures, unprotected sun exposure or sunburn for 2 weeks prior
- No waxing, depilatory creams or electrolysis to area being treated 5-7 days prior
- No shaving the day of the procedure to avoid skin irritation. If there is dense hair present in the treatment area, closely shave the area the day before you arrive to your appointment. If you are prone to cold sores, take antiviral agent for 3 days prior to and day of treatment. Avoid blood thinning agents (aspirin, fish oil, Omega-3, Vitamin E) for 1 week prior. May resume day after treatment.
Day of Treatment
- Please make sure skin is clean without lotion, oil, makeup, powder, perfume or sunscreen.
- Inform provider of any relevant changes in your medical history, and of all medications you are taking.
Skin cells need nutrients for best function. Healthy skin will respond better and results will last longer.
- Nourish your body with multivitamins, antioxidants, and/or Emergen-C packets daily. Do this for at least several days leading up to appointment and for 1-2 weeks after treatment.
Pregnancy, breastfeeding, actively infected or actively inflamed skin, skin irritation, cystic acne, keloid scars, moles, warts or actinic (solar) keratosis, and sunburned skin within 1 week leading up to appointment cannot be treated.
- Do not take any anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen Motrin or Advil for 1 week. DO NOT ice face or use arnica or bromelain. These agents may interfere with the natural inflammatory process that is critical and responsible for your skin rejuvenation.
- Avoid sun tanning and prolonged exposure to direct sunlight for 2 weeks.
- After 24 hours, always use a full spectrum sun screen SPF30 or above. When exposed to sun, wear a hat and apply sunscreen every 2 hours.
- Do no apply makeup for at least 24 hours
- Do not use exfoliating products for at least 72 hours
- If necessary, apply 1% Hydrocortisone cream or Benadryl spray or gel on treated areas to reduce itching
- Avoid waxing, facials, botox, injectable fillers or any other skin care treatment for at least two weeks after treatment.
- New cell regeneration requires at least 6-8 8oz glasses of water a day throughout the healing process (if you already drink that- increase by 2 glasses). If you do not do this, you will not get the best results possible.
- Optional dietary recommendations: Eat fresh fruit & veggies, tart cherry juice (no sugar), salmon (omega-3 fish oil), bone broth based soups for 2 weeks to optimize healing. Take daily multivitamins, and consume foods/juices rich with antioxidants. Avoid dairy, wheat and sugar. If you have any antioxidant serums you would like to use after 24 hours please speak with your provider to make sure it is safe to use.
A sunburn -like effect is normal. The skin will feel tight, dry, sensitive to touch. Treat skin gently washing with cool water, using hands only (a gentle cleanser may be used after 24 hours), and pat dry no earlier than 4 hours after treatment. Redness or sensitivity might be present. Some pinpoint bleeding is common and may last up to several days depending on how aggressive of a treatment you received.
Plan your social calendar accordingly!
- Avoid strenuous exercises that cause sweating, jacuzzi, sauna or steam baths for 24 hours, or up to 48 hours if inflammation is present.
- Sleep on your back with head of bed elevated to minimize swelling or pain as needed.
- Please make sure you have a clean pillow case to sleep on. Unwashed pillowcases increase the risk for infection.
- Light peeling may start 3-5 days after treatment. You will notice skin dryness and flaking. This is due to an increased turnover of skin cells. Do not pick, scratch or scrub at treated skin! Allow old skin to flake off naturally and keep moisturized.
- Slight outbreak of acne or milia (tiny white bumps) is possible. This is the skin purging itself. Please do not try to extract these, as it can lead to scarring and/or infection.
- You may restart your regular skin care products (including Retin-A) after 7 days only after doing a patch test first
- Many clients have noticed continued skin improvement for months following the last treatment.
- For best results, we recommend a repeat treatments in 2-4 weeks, and a series of 3-5 treatments depending on your personalized care plan.